Cyber Choices – Referral
We are here to help
We are the Police and therefore have a legal duty to discharge… however, the Cyber Choices ethos is to try and divert people positively, not to criminalise unnecessarily. We can discuss your concerns and worries and signpost you towards which resources listed here can help. Where appropriate we can arrange to come and visit those involved and provide face to face advice.
Questions to Help Our Understanding
Before contacting us it would be beneficial if you can explore the following questions (referred to as Appendix D above). Your answers will help us assess the risk to the person caused by their on-line activity and so enable the appropriate safeguarding resources to be made available, along with the right diversions or information. Please ask these questions with the person involved (and parental consent if appropriate) and have them ready for when we get in touch with you.
- What interests you about computers?
- Do you have any interest in a career involving computers?
- How would you rate your computer skills (1 – useless to 10 – outstanding)?
- Can you write any computer code? If yes :
- Which programming languages can you use?
- Can you create games, websites or apps?
- Tell me about your best computing achievement?
- What computers do you have access to (e.g. desktop, laptop, smartphone, tablet, server)?
- What operating systems do you use?
- What VPN (Virtual Private Network) do you use?
- What forums do you look at?
- What social media are you on?
- Do you have favourite usernames or tags?
- Do you have any understanding of the Computer Misuse Act?
- If you think you have ever broken the law online would you like some guidance or help?
- Have you ever been diagnosed with Autism or do you consider yourself to be on the Autism Spectrum?
To make a referral or contact the Cyber Choices team please complete the form below. A member of the team should get in touch with you within 5 working days.
IMPORTANT: If any person is at immediate risk you MUST dial 999 and ask for Police